Welcome!

The SKSS Visual Arts Department believes that the quality of a student’s life is uniquely enriched in essential ways by the development of skills and values learned in the creation of artworks. Visual arts encourage the students to function on multiple intellectual, analytical, thoughtful and expressive levels.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Salvage the Earth through Art


Creativity is thought to be something you are born with or without, but everyone is creative in their own way. Art consists of many different medias and can be expressed in a multitude of styles. One of the common medias of art is sculptures, though the most popular materials used are paper mache, and clay, with that we tend to forget that there are also found object sculptures. In the Visual Arts Program at SKSS, the students salvaged empty pop cans and created unique sculptures and 3D objects. The project is eco-friendly and produces visually appealing results.

When the project was first introduced to me I had no idea what I could make out of pop cans or how I was going to cut, mold or attach the aluminium pieces to form a recognizable shape. I thought the only thing I could do with empty cans was to return them to the bottle depot for recycling. Finally, I came up with the idea to make Pop Can Cameras. Cutting and attaching the cans was easy, all it takes is scissors or an xacto knife and a hot glue gun. For a base I used cardboard, but chicken wire can also be used. The results of my first camera fascinated me and I decided to create another smaller one. The peers in my class had unique ideas, different from my own. 

- Rylee Tolhurst, Grade 12, Sculpture and Ceramics